Classroom Photos: Start of the Year

Moving to a new school is always a daunting task. After five years in the same place, I managed to accumulate a vast array of 'important' papers, folders, books and teaching resources. I also inherited quite a few things from teachers who were retiring or leaving the profession. This created quite a lot of stuff which needed to be moved from my old school, transported to my home where it could be sorted and organised (or recycled, given away or binned) and then finally moved into my new teaching space.

Here are photos of part of the sorting process and the mess it created. Yes, that's right, two rooms in our house were filled with my teaching junk (as my husband calls it).


So, once all the sorting and re-packing was done, I had to take it into my new school. At my new school, I have no teacher office to store all my things in. To make up for this, the lovely staff at my school found a barely used cupboard and moved it to my room just for little old me! I felt very spoilt!

Here are my 'before' photos of my teaching space before I had a chance to move the furniture.



 My apologies for the bad lighting, both sides of my teaching space are windows (I only have one wall). As you can see, there was a lot of furniture stacked for the end of the year and it all needed to be moved and arranged. On one side of my room, there's windows out to a little courtyard. On the other side, there are more windows which overlook the Junior playground area.

These are my 'during' photos. I'm not finished setting up my room at this stage, because I like my students to have input about how they would like the room to look.

I made the tissue paper pom poms after being inspired by this tutorial on Schoolgirl Style. I love looking at the photos of all the inspirational and eye-catching classroom designs. After getting some style advice from Melanie's site, I decided my theme this year would be stars with blues, yellow and a splash of red. I thought I'd keep it simple this year, and try something more adventurous next year.

So that's it from me at the moment. I'm getting organised for our Parent Information Night on Tuesday. I know as the new teacher I'm going to have a lot of curious parents visiting, so I'm keen to make my teaching space as beautiful and welcoming as possible.

Thanks for 'visiting' my new room and be sure to pop back to see the final result.
Bec :)


Comments