The Night before School Starts

Look Out!

The witches mumble horrid chants,
You're scolded by five thousand aunts,
A Martian pulls a fearsome face
And hurls you into Outer Space,
You're tied in front of whistling trains,
A tomahawk has sliced your brains,
The tigers snarl, the giants roar,
You're sat on by a dinosaur.
In vain you're shouting "Help" and "Stop",
The walls are spinning like a top,
The earth is melting in the sun
And all the horror's just begun.
And, oh, the screams, the thumping hearts
That awful night before school starts.
Max Fatchen

I found this poem while I was sorting out all my school things during the holidays. So I said to myself, "I'll put this in a safe place til I need it." Then I promptly forgot where that safe place was. Thankfully I found it again, so I could share some of the terror that accompanies the night before school starts. The terror of wondering if your students will like you, the fear that you haven't planned enough for the first day or the anxiety that you might forget something important.

Today, I spent almost my entire day from 7:30am - 5:30pm setting up my room. It was hard work, and I'm exhausted now, but it was worth it! My only break was my scheduled duty at the Pre-School for their first day of school. It was certainly a different experience for me (the youngest I've taught are Year 1) but they were friendly and didn't seem to mind that "Bec" had no idea what she was doing!

Tomorrow will be my first day at my new school with my new class. I'm trembling with equal parts trepidation, anticipation and excitement.

I've got 'before' and 'after' photos of my classroom to edit and post so that you can see all my hard work! 

I hope you all have a great start to the 2013 school year and enjoy getting to know all of your lovely students.
Bec :)

Comments