Writer's Notebook and Evernote

It has been quite a while since I last updated this blog. We have been busy, busy, busy at school to the point where I have so much I want to share, but not enough time to share it... oh, the dilemma!

Evernote

Recently, my two teaching partners and I have started to use Evernote to collaboratively create and share lesson plan ideas. To set this up, at least one of you needs a premium account to invite the others to use the shared notebooks. Once that is done, you can all edit and see the notebooks wherever and whenever you want. When inspiration strikes, one might say.
So here's a screenshot of our shared Evernote notebook:


We can add text, images, links and photos of our Evernote Moleskine notebooks to this notebook and access it from our phones, tablet PC or iPad (I'm the Android user, the odd one out...), desktop computers or our Smartboards. 

Writer's Notebook

At the beginning of the year, we were using an A2 size sketchbook as our sample Writer's Notebook where we supported the unpacking of the seed. It did the job, and it was thought that the students could look through it when they wanted to review previous seeds, but it wasn't big enough and students were constantly moving from their seat to see the ideas that were written there.

My teaching partner was leading most of the Writer's Notebook sessions, as I am still developing my confidence and questioning strategies, but one morning I decided I was going to jump in and do it. Not only did I do it, but I decided to use Evernote to capture my seed ideas and put them on the Smartboard!

As you can see from the previous picture, I have collected water droplet seeds for the Week 3, Term 3 Writer's Notebook lesson.
Here's a closer look:


After collecting images to use as a seed, I decided on the image with the ant carrying a droplet. The students were also keen on the spider with the rainbow droplet head! Once the seed was chosen, I copied it into Smart Notebook on my Smartboard. I used a Y chart to unpack the seed with the headings: see/feel, think and wonder. There were a lot of interesting 'wonderings'!


The following week, my teaching partner decided to do a seed of picture showing a fair play situation, which was also added to Evernote and then used on the Smartboard. 



So that's how we use Evernote to help us organise our Writer's Notebook seeds. The table of all the graphic organisers we use to unpack the seeds is glued into the front of each student's Writer's Notebook. We have used Y charts quite a lot, plus started using Questions, Comments, Words/Phrases. Previously, I have used a Describing Wheel (see my previous post: What is a Writer's Notebook?)



That's it from me. As you can see, I am still learning and developing my confidence with Writer's Notebook. We are exploring new ways of organising and presenting it. I'm sure it will continue to evolve as the year goes by.



Thanks for visiting,

Bec :)

Comments

  1. I've also just began using Evernote and love it! I'm using it for guided reading assessment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many cool ways to use Evernote that I don't know if I'll ever get to try them all!
      We use it for collaborative planning. I need to re-new my premium subscription, you can do so much more!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Feel free to comment!