This term so far...

Let's face it: schools are busy places. We have just finished Week 7 of Term 3, with only 3 more weeks to go. It has been a hive of excitement in Year 2, with plenty more to come.

Literacy and Numeracy Week

Week 2 was Literacy and Numeracy Week. My school chose to celebrate this by having a 'Poem in our Pocket'. Each class chose a poem or wrote a poem to share with their buddy classes. We chose A.A. Milne's Sneezles to share with our buddies. I chose this poem because of the delightful made-up language, which linked to our novel study on The BFG by Roald Dahl. We studied and practised the poem, then read it aloud to students in Year 1 and Year 3. The loveliest part of this was the amount of students who came into school with more A.A. Milne poems to share with the class after our 'Poem in our Pocket' was shared.


(BrickExpo

This isn't really school related, but something else that kept me busy this term! At the end of Week 3, I was an exhibitor at  Canberra's Lego BrickExpo. It was on the 10th and 11th August this year, and was incredibly fun! As my first time as an exhibitor, I was nervous that no one would like my models, but it was thrilling to see children and adults alike enjoying all the interesting details. I was lucky enough to work with two other new exhibitors who are incredibly creative and talented. Here's a few pictures of our huge glow-in-the-dark Monster Mash model. Unfortunately, it was too hard to get good photos with the lights off...









My part of the model is the castle on top of the mountain. You can't really see the back, but in the base of the mountain is a secret laboratory where a crazy scientist is experimenting on a monster.)

Professional Development - Kath Murdoch

In Week 5, I was lucky enough to be chosen to go to a PD on inquiry based learning run by Kath Murdoch. I learnt so much about inquiry learning, and had a few misunderstandings corrected along the way. I'm planning to share more about the PD in a later post. I also have to share with my staff at a staff meeting (a prospect that terrifies me).

Book Week

We held Book Week celebrations in our school in Week 5. Along with a fantastic Book Week character parade, we had a Scholastic Book Fair. It was exciting to see everyone (even the teachers) dressed up and getting so enthused about reading and books. There was also a colouring-in competition for those artistically inclined students.

Grandfriends' Day

At my school, we hold a special morning for our grandfriends (grandparents and older relatives or friends). In Year 2, we invited the grandfriends in to draw a portrait of their grandchildren while the students drew a picture of their grandfriend. We also showed off our learning in our portfolios and gave them a tour around the school (making sure they visited the Scholastic Book Fair in the process). After a special morning tea in the gym, we invited the grandfriends to the hall where we had set up a concert to showcase all the amazing things the students do.  My teaching partner and I were the MCs for the concert (which I was incredibly nervous about) and introduced performances from the Year 5 and Year 6 bands, the junior and senior choirs, as well as some multimedia presentations of animated haiku poetry and claymations. It was a great day, and many of our grandfriends were raving about the students' creativity and talent.

Father's Day

In Australia, the first Sunday of September is Father's Day. This year it was September 1st. The Friday before Father's Day found us celebrating with a 'Snag your Dad' sausage sizzle breakfast. The dads were treated to sausages and an art gallery of dad pictures in the gym. The variety and creativity was incredible, considering we were all using the same theme! I sent my students home with their portraits to give to their dads on Father's Day.

Walkathon

Week 7 saw us walking around the school's oval to raise money for our Kitchen Garden program. It was a glorious day, the sun shining and everyone's spirits were high. I wore my pedometer and did as many laps as I could, walking with the students. We walked for over an hour, and by the end we had some very tired students!

Year 2 Assembly

Yesterday, the whole of Year 2 hosted our first assembly for the year. As there are about 75 students in total, we tried something a little bit different. Usually, students are given a script and speak their part using a microphone. As we wanted to give all of our students a chance to have their moment of fame, my teaching partner pre-recorded each student saying a word or phrase using his iPad. After all the recording was done, he then edited the whole lot together to create a movie. It certainly was a novel approach to making sure all students were presenters during our assembly!

That's our term so far... Next week we have a Year 2 excursion and Learning Journey. After that I'm hoping we'll have a quiet last two weeks of term!!

Comments